What is Color Therapy?
Why Color Therapy?
According to color therapy, colors are capable of influencing many aspects of our lives, including our mood, mental state, and energy level. Each color is thought to be associated with one of seven energy centers, or chakras, in Ayurveda. If a person’s chakra is thought to be out of balance or weak, the color it’s associated with is believed to help strengthen it.
- Red is thought to be linked to the base chakra and the spine, hips, and legs. It’s thought to stimulate and boost physical energy, strengthen willpower, increase circulation, clear congestion and is linked with sexuality. Too much red may overstimulate and possibly promote anger or aggressiveness.
- Orange is thought to encourage joy, socializing and optimism, which is why it’s considered useful for depression or sadness. Orange is associated with the sacral chakra and it’s believed to benefit the kidneys, urinary tract and the reproductive organs. Too much orange is thought to lead to tiredness, pessimism, and confusion.
- Yellow is associated with the solar plexus chakra. An imbalance in the solar plexus chakra is thought to promote fear, apprehension, confusion, lack of determination, introversion or power issues, which this color is believed to balance. Yellow is associated with the intellect and mental processes and is uplifting. The solar plexus chakra is also thought to influence the digestive system. Too much yellow is believed to lead to poor concentration and hyperactivity.
- Green is a color that’s thought to encourage emotional stability, purity, and calmness. It’s related to the heart chakra, so it’s believed to help with emotional issues, such as love, forgiveness, trust, and compassion. An imbalance in the heart chakra is associated with fear of relationships, mistrust, jealousy, isolation, and insecurity.
- Blue is related to the throat chakra and is said to be connected to the throat and lungs. It’s thought to enhance verbal expression and communication, artistic expression and willpower. It’s a calming color and is believed to help insomnia, anxiety, throat problems, high blood pressure, migraine, and skin irritation.
- Indigo is associated with the third eye chakra, located between the eyes, and is related to the eyes and the lower part of the head. It’s said to encourage greater intuition and strengthen the lymph system, immune system and help purify and cleanse the body.
- Purple or Violet is associated with the crown chakra, which is at the top of the head. It’s thought to encourage spirituality, intuition, wisdom, mastery and mental strength and focus. Too much purple is thought to promote pride and arrogance. Note: This information should be used for education only and should not be used to diagnose or treat disease. There is no evidence that color therapy can be used to treat, alone or in conjunction with standard therapy, any condition or disease. If you have any symptoms, please see your primary care provider.
This article was found at http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/chakras/a/ChakraSounds.htm
Written by: Kathy Wong, ND in 2008